Maelstrom - Next generation Flash Player
Posted on June 08, 2005
Macromedia has given a sneak-preview of some (possible) capabilities of the next flash player; codename "Maelstrom".
- New image effects (drop shadows, blurs, glows, beveled highlights, color transformation and convolution)
- New blending modes (overlays, lighten and darken, multiply, screen)
- New image API to control image effects with ActionScript
- New Video Codec VP6
- New font render-engine to crisply display fonts at small sizes
- File up-/download capabilities
- Increased privacy control for local storage of data
- Improved performance
Image effects: will help avoid tiresome workarounds, or lengthly coding
Blending modes: finally.
Image API: programmatically-controlled effects; always good.
File up-/download: will definitely have an impact for developers of rich-internet applications.